Mexico Senior High Turns 90!

Mexico Senior High Turns 90!
Posted on 01/10/2018
Mr. Ellebracht's picture

Mexico High School Turns 90!!


Happy 2018!  While everyone at Mexico High School is excited about celebrating the new year and all of the exciting ways we will work to improve our school and our community, it is also a year we will make an effort to honor the history of our beautiful school.


This year the original part of the building will be ninety years old.  While much has changed in the day-to-day work in the building, it has stood to serve the same purpose for over nine decades.  


Today, as you walk the halls of MHS you will walk on the same marble floor, up the stairs in the same “towers” and in many of the same classrooms that the first graduating class walked into in 1928.  The history really is everywhere in this building.


The campus has changed significantly over the last 90 years.  In the 1960’s, the first new addition was built onto the school and then “Hart Career Center” was built north of the building. The 1990’s saw the additions of the “Willer Wing”, where many of the fine arts program are housed, and the Mexico High School Sports Complex was constructed on the west end of the building.  In the last decade we have added modern central heat and air conditioning systems as well as updated the educational technology infrastructure to help keep our school viable in the 21st Century.  We have also made extensive efforts to preserve the exterior and interior physical structure and protect this important symbol of the history and heritage of Mexico, Mo.


While there have been many changes to the building, the original part of the structure serves as the beating heart of the modern high school.  It houses around 24 classrooms that are used every day; the guidance office; the administrative offices and Emmons Hall, the school performing arts theatre.  The remaining classrooms, as well as additional performance and gym spaces are all in the newer parts of the building.


On January 23, 1928 the building was dedicated to serve the purpose of educating the students of Mexico and has faithfully continued with this same mission for 90 years.  Here’s to many more years of building onto the legacy of this historic place.